Monday, August 06, 2007

SoulFu 1.5 "Niceware"

There's a new release of SoulFu. Whilst the source still comes under a funny license that many would not consider true open source, I believe any restrictions previously placed in the game are now removed. Downloads are up for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.



If you like the game concept but feel strongly about the source code license then the main alternative has to be Egoboo Resurrection - ironically also originally developed by Aaron and no surprise given the graphical similarities. [Edit - a better link, thanks Jacky. Also worth noting is that Egoboo Resurrection is currently available only for Windows although it should be compilable for Linux.]



Also the FreeOrion team snuck out another release - 0.3.1-rc6 - a couple of weeks ago. It's an explore, expand, exterminate [is that correct] kind of space strategy game with a very nice user interface and designed for a deep gameplay experience. I don't recall seeing this release announced anywhere. Also, it seems a strangely large update from 0.3.1rc5:



This release has many UI improvements, new art, bug fixes, and various minor and medium-scale backend changes. Notable major changes are the long-awaited OpenAL sound system (removing a non-free dependency) and Python AI scripting that can be modified without needing to rebuild FreeOrion itself.


Meh, who am I to argue but really, that's surely worthy of a 0.3.2 label at least!? Anyway, the game is available as a Windows installer but Linux users must compile from source.



Finally a quick note on the Open Football project. On the wiki is a small update saying that the game should be at a playable demo state before Christmas this year. Great news for a fantastic looking project. :-)

9 comments:

Jacky J said...

I think a more fitting link would be the homepage:

http://home.no.net/egoboo/

Charlie said...

Cheers Jacky - I have the link but I was just being lazy! Editted! :-)

Unknown said...

"Transfer quota exceeded!" is the message I'm getting when I click on the link from jacky. "Problem loading page" is what I get when I click on the first link. I'll keep trying back I guess.

Kaelis Ebonrai said...

Wow, interesting, it could be the traffic from this site killed their bandwidth limit O_o

Anonymous said...

maybe i'm blind, but how the heck am i supposed to actually get the data files? as far as I can tell, they only exist in the windows installer .exe, which doesn't do me a lick of good when using a mac!

hikaricore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hikaricore said...

matt - I've ripped the entire contents of the windows installer and placed them in the following archive along with the linux binary, you'll have to grab the mac binary yourself (sorry): http://hikaricore.googlepages.com/SoulFu.tar.bz2

^_^

Ahmad Yasser said...

I'm sure this is a pretty stupid question, but I must ask:
you stated that Linux and Mac binaries are available for the new version (1.5) but where are they? the Linux port topic is unupdated from July 17.

thanks :)h

Jer Clarke said...

Hey man, found you on the Sauer forums and I gotta say I'm really glad this blog is being written. I've been looking for a resource like this for awhile now.

Could I ask you a favor? At the moment your RSS feed (autogenerated by Blogger despite your non-use of an RSS button) is set on "show only the first X words", so I can't see your whole posts in my reader. Could you find that and set it to show the whole post? I'm assuming here you're not trying to keep visual control over your information or make me look at ads :P

Better yet, let me host your blog for you. I am a web dev and a whiz at WordPress (Ahhh the GPL goodness, how I love to browse the code). I'd be happy to give you a nice clean install and import all your stuff to my server (domains are cheap, you could get one for yourself at godaddy or use mine, simianuprising.com/YOU).

Either way keep up the good work. Maybe I'll see you in Action Cube.

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.